I lived in Ceara, Brasil for 6 months as part of my gap year....more years ago than I would like to admit, one of the lasting memories from our time there is some of the food we ate & this recipe is a rice & beans dish we ate many times a week.
1 garlic clove
Drizzle of olive oil1 cup rice
1 tbsp dried coriander
400g tin of black eyed beans
2 cups of stock
Handful of frozen peas
175g mozzarella, chopped into cubes
- Heat the oil & gently cook the onion & garlic until soft.
- Add the rice & coriander with another drizzle of oil & stir until the rice is transparent.
- Add the beans, stock & peas, bring to gentle simmer & cover the pan.
- Allow to simmer until all the stock is gone approximately 10 mins. Keep the pan covered & allow to rest for 5 mins.
- Add the mozzarella & stir in well.
- Allow to melt for another 10-15 mins.
In Brazil you would eat this dish with meat, but being a veggie I would often serve some veggie sausages with it, but can be eaten as a dish in it's own right. Also nice cold as a rice salad.