500g potatoes, peeled and chopped
splash of milk
few handfuls of grated cheese
salt & pepper
1 onion, chopped finely
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp thyme
1 bay leaf
2/3 large carrots, chopped
handful of frozen peas
handful of frozen sweetcorn
1 tin of black eyed beans
600ml vegetable stock
splash of Worcester sauce (vegetarian one)
1 tbsp tomato puree
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Gently fry the onion, garlic & thyme in the oil, until soft.
- Add a little more oil & the lentils, coating them in the oil.
- Add the vegetable stock, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, black eyed beans, bay leaf, Worcester sauce & tomato puree, mix well.
- Bring to the simmer, with the lid on the pan simmer for 20-30 mins until the carrots are soft & lentils are cooked but not too mushy.
- Whilst the lentils are simmering, prepare the potatoes & boil them in a pan of boiling water until soft.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk and a handful of cheese. Add the seasoning to taste.
- Place the lentil filling into the bottom of an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato.
- On top sprinkle another handful of grated cheese.
- Place in the oven for about 30 mins or until the topping is golden brown.
Serve with a green salad or crusty bread.