Friday 1 November 2013

R2D2 cake special



R2D2 with birthday boy!

Ok, this is a few weeks late and many of you will have already seen the photos of Luke's birthday cake, which I made this year. He challenged me to make him a Star Wars cake and not being the slight-ist bit knowledgable about Star Wars I had to do some research.
Whilst researching I stumbled across this blog post, a Star Wars birthday cake by Nest of Posies. It was perfect to help me conquer the challenge my husband had set me :)

I started by making 4 cakes, 2x 8 inch round (Vegan Chocolate Orange Cake, which I will share the recipe for sometime soon!) and 2x 8 inch square (Victoria sponge). Once the cakes were cool, the Chocolate Orange cakes were placed on top of one another with a chocolate spread filling and the Victoria sponge were placed on top of one another with a jam filling. 

After this I followed a Nest of Posies instructions to cut out the shape of R2D2.

Shape of R2D2 by cutting out the cakes

Next began the fun bit icing. I made glace icing using icing sugar and adding a tbsp of boiling water at a time until the consistency was thick but spreadable.

R2D2's body and legs were iced first and then I added a few drops of black food colouring to make grey icing for his head, unfortunately I made the grey icing a bit too thin so it ran quite a bit.

An iced R2D2

R2D2 was then left for the icing to set (I put him in the fridge for a few hours) before I added the detail.

For this I needed a photo of R2D2 which I found online and using some ready made blue piping icing I added the blue detail.

The finished product

I was very pleased with how he turned out, he wasn't perfect but I thought he looked pretty good for a first attempt...I don't know whether I'll beat this next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Translate